Finally, you completed half of the procedure of hair transplantation; the surgery. However, the post-op period is important as much as the operation itself and prior. This period is all about healing. Here are the crucial things you be careful following the hair transplantation process.
The first 3 days after the surgery:
The first days after the procedure are the most critic. Hair follicles are still fragile, they need time to take root. Immediately after the FUE hair transplant, your nape area (the donor’s area) is not fully recovered. Moreover, transplanted grafts still need time to recover. Shortly, the first 3 days are “recovery period”.
- You need to rest at home.
- It is normal to have pain, you should take prescribed medication regularly.
- There must be no contact or damage to the head area.
- It is recommended to drink water 2 litres a day as there might be oedema formation.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, smoking; saunas, sunbaths and sexual contact.
- The first 2 days, your clinic will wash your hair. At the 3rd day, you should do it gently and according to what your doctor says.
- You should use a soft headband.
- Use a high pillow and lie on your back or your side. Make sure that your recipient area does not contact the pillow.
The 4th – 15th days of the hair transplantation:
After the critical period is over, you can slowly return to your normal daily routines. But you must always be careful and protect your head.
- Do not engage in any activities that might make you sweat heavily. You can take short walks at a moderate pace.
- Always use a soft hat in order to protect your head from outdoor conditions (sun, rain, dust etc.)
- Do not have a haircut or dye your hair.
- You should use buttoned and zipped clothes in order to prevent contact with your head.
- After washing your hair, let it dry naturally.
- Don’t try to prevent scabs from forming on your scalp. They are part of the natural healing process. They will go on their own.
- You can start working again as long as you don’t tire yourself out.
The 16th – 30th days of the process:
The hair follicles are not fragile anymore and they took root. But still, you should be very careful. This period is like the previous one, just with some better changes.
- Follow a healthy and nutritional diet.
- You can stop avoiding sexual contact.
- You can go on jogging and do light activities.
A month after the hair transplantation and in 2 years:
This is the final stage of the hair transplantation process and the transplanted area is fully recovered. At the end of this period, the results will be seen completely.
- At the end of the 2nd month, you can slowly start doing heavy sports.
- After a month, you can start taking alcohol and smoking.
- You can have a haircut with scissors but not hair dye.
- However, you should still be careful about sun exposure.