How should I prepare myself before my hair transplant procedure?
- Avoid exercise for three days before surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol for at least one week before the procedure.
- Stop smoking as far in advance of the surgery as possible.
- Stop taking aspirin and any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, etc.) at least three weeks before the hair transplant.
- Refrain from using herbal remedies containing Echinacea, garlic, Vitamin E or Gingko Biloba during this time.
- Patients who take blood thinners, including Warfarin, Coumadin and aspirin must avoid these medicines for at least one week ahead o the surgery. These medications and herbs increase the risk of excessive bleeding during the surgery and they can reduce the ability of the transplanted hair follicles to take root and survive.
- Avoid spicy food for a week before having hair transplant surgery because spices prevent the body from maintaining the stable conditions needed for a successful procedure.
- Take a strong multivitamin for several weeks prior to their hair transplantation surgery, and take Vitamin C to enhance immune health and ability to heal.
- Stop taking Rogaine and Propecia two weeks before the hair replacement procedure.
- The night before the surgery, get a good night’s sleep.
- Refrain from eating or drinking anything after midnight, since you will be sedated during the procedure.
Are hair transplant results permanent?
Rota Hair Transplantation clinics use the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method for hair replacement. FUE usually results in thicker and bushier hair once all the transplants have begun growing after surgery. The FUE technique is also effective for beard, moustache and eyebrow hair replacements. Once the procedure is completed and the area has healed, patients experience permanent hair regrowth in a natural manner.
How will my pain be controlled during and after the procedure?
Transplantation clinic provides mild sedation to patients in addition to local anesthesia at the donor site and at the implantation site. Most patients report no pain or distress from the procedures. After the treatment, patients are provided with pain control medication and instructions.
How long should I plan to be away from work after my procedure?
Most FUE hair transplantation patients can return to regular work duties within just a few days of their surgery. However, patients working strenuous jobs should take at least one week off work after the surgery. Avoid bending, straining and lifting for at least once week after the surgery.
When can I resume my exercise regimen?
The FUE method of hair restoration requires less time off from exercise than some other hair transplant procedures.
- You can resume light walking the day after surgery, and light exercise after one week. Avoid aerobic exercise, including running, weight lifting and sports for at least one week. Do not swim for several months, because the chemicals ands acids in treated swimming pool water can damage still-healing skin.
- Avoid bending, straining or lifting after surgery because these can cause swelling which delays the healing of the scalp.
- Do not use the sauna or steam room for one month post-operatively.
- Protect the scalp from the sun
- Avoid tanning beds until the doctor clears you for these activities.
When can I shower and wash my hair again after surgery?
You will be examined the day after surgery and staff will assist you with a gentle scalp and hair wash. For the first week after surgery, shower and gently shampoo with the special formula provided by the Rota Hair Restoration staff. This will help avoid infection as well as gently cleaning the area of scabs or buildup of small amounts of dried blood or other fluids. After about 7-10 days, the doctor will most likely clear you to shower and wash your hair normally. Vigorous hair washing and scrubbing should be postponed for at least one month. Please avoid using hair dryers or curling irons for two weeks post operatively. After one week you may gently brush the hair grafts, and use hair styling products such as mousse or gel. By the end of the first month after surgery you should able to brush and style your hair normally.
Are there any dietary restrictions before or following surgery?
- Eat a healthy diet before surgery to ensure the body’s immune system and overall well-being is strong.
- Stop smoking and do not consume alcohol for at least three days prior to your procedure. Even if you are accustomed to spicy food, avoid it for several days before and after your procedure.
- Take a multivitamin for weeks before surgery to build up your health and immune systems.
- Take extra Vitamin C before and after surgery to promote healing and infection resistance.
Will there be visible scarring in the donor hair area?
With the FUE method of hair transplantation, there should be minimal or no permanent visible scarring. Patients will have red spots, swelling and what appears to be a light brush-burn rash across the donor and transplant sites. This is normal and will dissipate quickly. Any scars remaining will be covered as hair grows, and they will fade over time.
What should I expect to see in the first few weeks and months after surgery?
There will be swelling in the donor and transplant areas after surgery. Some patients have inflammation of the forehead, and the inflammation may settle across the bridge of the nose and around the eyes. This usually resolves itself within a week. After surgery, hair follicles enter a “resting phase” and they may shed hair. This is normal, and the transplanted follicles will begin producing new hair within two to four months of the surgery.
Will my hair look natural once healing is completed?
When the transplanted hair follicles grow out, you will have a full head of your own natural hair. Rota take care to transplant hair that will grow in the natural growth pattern and angles of other hair on the head. After four to six months, enough hair growth has occurred to look completely natural with no additional treatment required.
If these questions don’t work for you, please contact with us.